What Does Edgemere’s 5-Star Medicare Rating Mean for You?
If you are exploring your senior living community options, you’ve likely read about many awards, ratings and accolades. Every community is going to advertise their achievements, but how much weight should you give them? Edgemere, for example, has been awarded a 5-star Medicare rating. That might sound impressive, but unless you understand how that rating is determined, it may not help you narrow your search for the right community to call home.
The good news is that we can help shed light on what a Medicare rating is and how it can help lead you down the path toward a community that can provide for all of your needs.
What is the Medicare rating system?
The U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is doing their part to help older adults and their families and caregivers make an informed decision when choosing a senior living community. Their Five-Star Quality Rating System assigns a community an overall rating ranging between 1 and 5 stars. Communities that receive a 5-star rating are considered above-average in quality. If a community receives a 1-star rating, it’s because they have been deemed below-average in quality.
In addition to the overall rating, the CMS also provides separate ratings for three categories: Health Inspections, Staffing, and Quality Measures.
- Health Inspections is based on a community’s three most recent health inspections and investigations due to complaints.
- Staffing is calculated based on the number of hours of care provided on average to each resident each by a community’s nursing staff.
- Quality Measures is a determination of how well the community’s staff is caring for the physical and clinical needs of their residents.
Benefits of a CCRC
Quality is only one part of the equation when comparing one senior living community to the next. The type of care provided is also an important consideration, because not every community offers the same levels of care. Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRCs), also known as Life Care communities, are designed to provide the full spectrum of care.
The guiding principle of a CCRC is to provide for the health and well-being of residents both now and in the future. You may not require a greater level of care now, but no one knows what the future holds. So while you may find yourself focusing on the services and amenities offered in an independent living community, it’s important to remember that your needs may change.
By offering various levels of care if and when you need them, a CCRC offers you the comfort of knowing that your needs will be provided for throughout the rest of your life.
Discover Health Services at Edgemere
Not every senior living community in Dallas can claim a 5-star rating from the CMS, but Edgemere is one of them. As a luxury senior living community offering a Type A Life Care contract, Edgemere is committed to providing for the needs of its residents, whatever they may be. Edgemere is home to a full continuum of care services, including , memory care, skilled nursingand rehabilitation. Our Type A contract means residents have priority access to the greater levels of care within our community, should they require them, at little to no change in their monthly costs.
- Assisted living provides residents the personal support they need to perform activities of daily living.
- Memory care is designed to help residents who need help overcoming the challenges that come with memory loss, Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia.
- Skilled nursing, courtesy of a team of dedicated registered nurses and licensed practical nurses, offers residents individualized care. <
- Rehabilitation helps residents get back on their feet, whether they require physical, occupational, cognitive or speech therapies or a combination of them./li>
The care you need and the quality of care you deserve are both at Edgemere.
If you are interested in learning more about our 5-star health services, let’s chat! Please fill out the form below or give us a call at 214-265-9100.